I wrote this in a bit of a lull at work a few weeks ago. It is a reflection on how I want people to see me, the qualities I want them to associate with me. This is relevant to my work but also my life more broadly because these statements are designed to inform how I conduct myself in the workplace and in life.
I want people to see…
- That I care deeply about other people, animals and the environment;
- That I am fiercely passionate about making the world a better place;
- That I am values-driven;
- That I am committed to social justice, especially for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people;
- That I think deeply about things;
- That I live mindfully;
- That I speak honestly and openly;
- That I am courageous;
- That I am resilient;
- That I am open minded;
- That I am a good listener;
- That I am approachable;
- That I am compassionate and understanding;
- That I am trustworthy;
- That I am genuine in what I say and do;
- That I have a good head on my shoulders;
- That I try my hardest at everything I do;
- That I am a committed employee/volunteer/friend etc who will be there for the long haul;
- That I am humble and do not believe I am better than anyone else; and
- That I think laterally and come up with creative ideas and solutions;
I encourage you to think about how you want other people to see you, because it is a really useful way to focus in on what is most important to you which then informs how you conduct yourself every day.
Love, hope and peace from Emma.